Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"The Things We Do For Love..."

Let me begin with a little background information. My mother made all of us daughters wait to pierce our ears until junior high. When 6th grade came around, she took me to the Dr. thinking he would do it the cleanest. Yea, well, not so much. They were always infected and never really turned out right so I let the holes close up. Then, in 2002, I pierced them again at the mall. Same story, always infected. I could never wear the cheap, pretty earrings that I loved without my ears getting red, swollen, and having bumps behind them. So, yet again, I let the holes close up.

So, here we are today. I know what kind of earrings I want to wear for the wedding, but most earrings look horrible as clip-ons. I decided a few months ago that I must re-pierce my ears...I just never actually went and did it. So, while I was out to dinner with some friends, we decided it would be an oppurtune time to get it done. I had my cartilage pierced a while back and had no problems wearing cheap earrings. I figured that it had something to do with the fact that I had it pierced at a tattoo parlor, which is usually more hygienic than the mall. Which brings me to this past weekend. At around 10pm, 3 girlfriends of mine (all moms from Dylan's school) and myself strolled into a lovely tattoo parlor. Everyone there was covered in tattoos and piercings, and I think was wondering what the heck we were doing there! I explain the situation and sign my ear health away on the dotted line. I headed behind the counter to a back room that was well lit, but seemed a bit shady, and sat on the table. The guy was pretty composed at first, and rambled a few things here and there and then got me ready. I was surprised by how little the pain was. I remember almost crying when I had it done at the mall, but this was by far less painful. He then gets ready to do the next ear and I notice his hand shaking pretty badly. I was nervous, and asked why he was shaking. I don't remember if I got an answer or not....but tried to remain calm and hope that he knew what he was doing. He eventually calmed down and pierced the other ear just fine. To top off the situation, after it was all said and done, he asked if he could take a picture of me for his portfolio because he had never pierced ear lobes before!!!! Yea, good times. No wonder he was shaking!




Anyway, here are some pics of earrings, and other jewelry that I like for the wedding.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous!

    yay, no wonder he didn't say anything before he finished the other ear! next time ask for someone experienced!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete